If there was one thing I could change about myself, it would be to NOT be a picky eater. I would love to like a variety of foods and be interested in trying other foods. As a child, I could never get outside of my shell in the food realm. I would try new food but never end up eating it again. This is a different type of picky and should not be confused with not branching out to try foods. I think this sets me apart from other picky eaters. I think being a well-traveled person also makes me want to try new food, I just never like it or eat it again, unfortunately.
Studies have proven that picky eaters are at a disadvantage when compared to others, for more reasons than just food. It also says being a picky eater leads to living a bland life and having more opinions than others. Being a picky eater inconveniences others when you are at a friend’s house or at a restaurant (Furrow, 2013). This article says how embarrassing being a picky eater can be in a public setting. At high-end restaurants, picky eaters tend to be limited in options because those restaurants cater to experienced food eaters. This only leaves picky eaters to either choose a children’s meal or ask the server to modify the meal.
On the other hand, being a picky eater can be helpful in certain and specific instances. Picky eaters are satisfied much easier than most because they are used to the same thing every meal. When grocery shopping, their bills are lower than others because they don’t buy spices or expensive ethnic meals. Picky eater meals are typically cheaper at restaurants because their meal is the same one on the children’s menu (Hand, 2018).
Overcoming being a picky eater takes “real drive”. Actively setting out to try new foods and genuinely liking them, takes training. Experts say while it is extremely difficult, overcoming being a picky eater pays off in the future. “Expanding your eating horizons can make everything from date night to a vacation easier and more enjoyable” (Winderl, 2017). Texture plays a huge part in being a picky eater because it gives them a bad memory.
I do have a personal goal of trying to overcome my picky eater tendencies. Since being away from home, I feel like I have taken strides towards this goal. This year alone, I have tried over 30 new foods or meals. I think this is a personal accomplishment. However, the only one I know I like is salmon. I try to mix my new foods with foods I already like. For example, I will put barbeque sauce on chicken tenders because I think this will help me. What I think tastes good in my head and what ACTUALLY tastes good - are two completely different things.
Picky eaters tend to change their minds as they age. Most say their upbringing, location and personal background causes picky eaters to not branch out. For example, I was encouraged to try every new food item and try a normal portion of it. I was not the biggest fan of vegetables, and I still am not. But because of this childhood experience, I feel like I am ahead of most people because I have at least tried each vegetable. Overall, this is the most frustrating part of being me but the good news is - I AM TRYING TO FIX IT!
Comments
Post a Comment